Delectable Delightful Distillate Pt.2
In the previous edition of Delectable Delightful Distillate we discussed some of the various uses for distillate and some must-try options that Locals Canna House has to offer. Ready to learn how to cook with distillate? Yes, you can cook with distillate, but you MUST follow one simple rule. Low heat! THC will convert into CBN with too much heat, and CBN is a cannabinoid that is not very psychoactive at all and is often best as a sleep aid. Which can be good if you need a sleep aid, but not so good if you are just trying to get stoned.
How to measure potency
It is actually quite simple to figure out the potency of a gram of distillate. Let’s use this gram of Rainbow Sherbert from Crystal Clear. It reads
- 91.3% THC
- 1.8% CBG
- 93.9% Total Cannabinoids
All you gotta do is sliiiiiide to the right. No, not your feet. The decimal point. 91.3%>913mg of THC for 1 gram of distillate. So we would also have 18mg of CBG, and 939mg for the whole gram.
Be careful that you are looking at THC and not THCa, THCa needs heat to be activated in order to get you high. Same goes for other cannabinoids to like CBDa. If it has an “a” on the end, it won’t get you high by eating it!
Remember to take into consideration how many servings you will have in total to determine the potency of a single dose. For instance if you had 939mg total, and you made 10 servings, each serving would equate to 93.9mg each. For some that could be perfect, beginners will want to take just a bite!
Home Made Infused Frosting
This was something I did recently and really enjoyed the whole process. I have made edibles from bud many times in the past. It always incorporated many steps, and always feeling unsure if I was overcooking or under cooking my buds. Much simpler, and tremendously more potent.
- Buy a gram of distillate that tastes phenomenal
- Buy frosting that would pair well with said distillate
- I used vanilla because it’s the closest thing to a blank canvas when it comes to frosting. But some other combinations, like strawberry distillate with chocolate frosting, could work very well. Get creative! And show us your creations with the #smokelocals tag!
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl and your distillate
- Dump the amount of frosting you plan to use with your recipe
- Microwave for 20-40 seconds,
- May vary depending on the strength of the microwave and type of frosting. The goal is to get it warm and viscous enough to melt the distillate into so it mixes evenly throughout.
- While frosting is hot, mix the amount of distillate you plan to use into the frosting and stir!
- If you have a distillate that is a bit thicker, run it under hot water for a minute!
And that’s it, in 6 easy steps you have made infused frosting in a matter of 5-10 minutes. All that is left is to spread it on top of some goodies, or simply grab a spoon and go to town.
For my frosting, I used 3 grams of distillate with a whole tub of vanilla frosting. I had a Rainbow Sherbert (91.3% THC / 1.8% CBG / 93.9% Total) from Crystal Clear, a Honey Tree CBD Distillate (65% CBD / 16% THC / 89% Total), and a Honey Tree Delta 8 THC Distillate (63% Delta-8 THC / 14% THC). Was a whopping 2,459mg total, 1213mg THC, 630mg Delta-8 THC, 650mg of CBD, and 18mg of CBG in the frosting.
Having only 1 gram in it that was flavored I was expecting the other 2 non-flavored distillates to overpower the taste. To my surprise, I could hardly taste any oil and all I could taste was the rainbow sherbet flavoring. This was my first home made edible that did not make me feel like a zombie. I believe that is due to the CBD and Delta-8. It was a euphoric, happy high that perks you up just enough to tackle the day.